The General Organisation for Physical Planning (GOPP) is the central Government authority responsible for spatial planning in Egypt. Its responsibilities include the development of policies, legislation, strategies and standards for settlement planning training and support to local authorities that are tasked to undertake all urban physical plans monitoring and evaluation of plans. The project assisted the organisation in its development of:
- Institutional and human resource policies.
- An operative information management policy.
- New methodologies for regional and strategic urban planning.
- Training materials and programmes for local government capacity building in planning, including the training of trainers.
- New methods for using IT to encourage public participation in planning
- Improved communication systems between GOPP, its 7 regional planning centres and local authorities throughout the country for exchange of data and provision of technical support.