Administration of the Fund for Support to Colombian Civil Society Organisations (FOS)
The Fund for Support to Colombian Civil Society (FOS) is a multi-donor fund, created as a mechanism for funding and strengthening of civil society in Colombia. It was founded by Sida in 2009 with the purpose of organising systematically the support that was channelled to the Colombian civil society organisations and to increase transparency and establish clear criteria for selection of cooperation parties in Colombian civil society and increase cost efficiency in administering the project management. NORAD joined as a donor in 2011 and together with Sida form the Governing Board (GB) of the Fund.
The Fund is supporting the following thematic areas:
- Peace and security
- Human rights, with a focus on victims [of the armed conflict] and human rights defenders
- Democratic governance linked to peace-building
Gender, environmental sustainability/issues and conflict sensitivity as cross-cutting issues.
The outcome objectives and output objectives for the Fund are as follows:
1) Civil society has contributed to enhance the peace process on local, regional and national levels.
- Increased number of initiatives by civil society related to the peace process and active participation in the implementation of possible future peace agreements on local, regional and national level.
- Increased number of women empowered as agents of peace.
- Increased number of youth empowered as agents of peace.
2) Civil society has contributed to the empowerment of victims and human rights defenders.
- Advancement of land restitution processes through collaboration between civil society and responsible public entities.
- Increased leverage for human rights defenders.
- Increased levels of truth, justice, reparation and guarantees of non-repetition for victims of the conflict.
3) Civil society has contributed to strengthened democracy on national, regional and local levels in relation to peacebuilding.
- Increased political participation, transparency and social control in relation to the public agenda for peace building.
FCG Sweden provides efficient, cost effective, transparent and systematically organised Fund Management of FOS. Call for Proposals are announced on an annual basis to support longer term initiatives from Civil Society Organisations (CSOs) of around 11.8 m USD over the six years. During the first of FCG Sweden / ORGUT management of the Fund, an Open Fast Track Fund (OFT) was available for short-term initiatives of around 2 m USD, in 2018 replaced by by Calls for proposals by invitation, both mechanisms for making possible more rapid funding of specifically prioritized or urgent initiatives.